Okay, I'll be honest: I've been somewhat critical of Dr. James Dobson's involvement in politics for years. If you're not familiar with him, he's the unofficial leader of the religious right. He runs an organization called Focus on the Family, and millions of voters turn to him for political direction. It's difficult to overstate his influence. It is in large measure due to him that the Republican Party has been able to use the evangelical Christian voting bloc to maintain power. The party chooses the candidates, then Dobson sends his followers to the polls.
And Dobson is not content just to promote his favored Republican candidates. He also has a long history of subtle and not-so-subtle attacks on candidates he doesn't like. Earlier this year, for example, he participated in smear campaigns against Romney to try to help Huckabee during the primaries.
But what he's done this week is by far his most deplorable act to date. He's circulating a hypothetical letter from America in 2012, after four years of an Obama presidency. He describes the moral cesspoll into which the United States has degenerated, as well as the financial and security crises that Obama has brought about.
Among the highlights:
• Supreme court requires Boy Scouts to "hire homosexual scoutmasters and allow them to sleep in tents with young boys."
• Frequent international disasters occur due to Obama's "reluctance to send troops overseas, Russia occupying the Baltic states and Eastern European countries including Poland and the Czech Republic, and al-Qaeda overwhelming Iraq.
• Nationalized health care is established with no access to hospitals for people over 80. Others die while they wait in long lines to see substandard doctors.
• No dissemination allowed of any religious information via any media. Such rhetoric is now classified as inciteful "hate speech."
• We see skyrocketing numbers of abortions, as the procedure is now offered free of charge and doctors have their licenses revoked if they decline to terminate pregnancies.
• Pornography is required to be publicly displayed on magazine stands along with other publications.
• There are no guns, no homeschooling, no unions, no jobs, no gasoline. And perhaps worst of all, no James Dobson -- as he's been censored and removed from the airwaves. (we can only hope.)
This is hate politics at its absolute worst. And this is our party. Or rather this is what has become of our party. We must -- MUST -- root out this infestation from conservative politics. I don't care what you believe or which candidate you support, I hope you'll agree that this kind of rhetoric should no longer be the driving force behind this nation's conservative political discourse.
Dobson's group is spending over a half million dollars this week to run new ads in Colorado associating Obama with infanticide.
The ad features the voice of Gianna, the best-known survivor of a botched abortions. Here's the script:
Obama has attacked me, but I've dealt with worse; I survived an abortion. State Senator Barack Obama voted 4 times against laws to protect babies who survive abortions. Meanwhile, U.S. Senators voted 98-0 for Born Alive Infant Protections. Senator Obama says deciding when babies get human rights is above his pay grade. Tell him abortion survivors deserve legal protections too.
Letter from 2012 in Obama's America